Yesterday was a beautiful Sunday here in the desert Southwest. Then, in the afternoon we had an amazing storm roll in. It is glorious when the rain comes down in the desert – the smell is unlike anything on earth. Add to that a very cool temperature and I came home, threw open all of the doors and windows and took a heavenly nap!
And then I woke up to more rain, thunder and beautiful dark skies (I like them every so often…most of them time I want sunshine!). It was the first day it actually felt like Fall here in the Old Pueblo. So, I was inspired to make some pumpkin muffins.
Oh…My…Stars…that’s all I could say when I tasted these.
Mercy oh my soul they are scrumptious! The nice thing is that they are very easy to make and bake up very quickly. The recipe below is the same as the site, with one exception – I am a freak for vanilla so I added 2 teaspoons with all of the wet ingredients. As you can see in my photo, I get my vanilla at Penzeys Spices. I adore this place and get almost all of my spices there now (I have replenished my supplies as I have run out). They have just about anything you can imagine. Seriously…I could spend more time in there than a person should! If there isn’t a store near you, you can purchase online as well.
Pumpkin Nutella Muffins
(original recipe from Your Cup of Cake)
Makes 35 muffins
3 1/3 C. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
3 C. sugar
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground ginger
1 C. oil
2/3 C. milk
2 C. pumpkin puree
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners or grease your muffin tins.
2. Combine all dry ingredients and then all the remaining ingredients. (Instead of the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger you can use pumpkin pie spice or Baking Spice from Penzeys!)
3. Stir just until combined and then fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
4. Drop a small amount of Nutella into each muffin tin over the pumpkin batter (about 1 tsp. or so) and use a toothpick to swirl it in.
5. Bake for 16-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out with no pumpkin batter on it (there may be some hot Nutella that sticks to the knife but that’s fine!)
6. Serve warm or cooled! Store in a sealed container if not eating right away. NOTE: You can always half the recipe!!
The best part of taking food photos…eating and drinking the props afterwards!!