Maybe I’m obsessing a little over the heat this summer, and trying to stay cool. In all honesty (and if you are a guy…you may want to skip the rest of this paragraph!) I think it has more to do with the fact that I have hit that ‘magical’ time in a “young” girl’s life. You know, the time of life where I have become my own tropical heat wave, from the inside out! Anything that can either keeps me from a hot flash, or at least somewhat lessen the agony (if you can really do so), is on my radar!
Enter this wonderful, cool, refreshing punch. I have made this several times and it is certainly a go to drink for the pool and for a party. I think that the non-alcoholic version is a little too sweet for me so I add in some sparkling water just to cut the sweet a bit. This original recipe came from Divas can Cook . I have adjusted and tweaked according to my tastes and preferences…but this was a great jumping off point and I HIGHLY recommend it!
Melon Punch - Serves: 6
- 1 bottle Sparkling white grape juice (for an “adult version” use a light, white wine like a Moscato or Riesling, instead of the grape juice)
- 2 cups clear lemon lime flavored soda (I used Sprite)
- 1 cup lemonade (I used Simply)
- 2 cups sparkling water (I used Pellegrino)
- 1 small ripe watermelon
- 1 small ripe cantaloupe
- 1 small ripe honeydew melon
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- 2 limes, sliced, plus more for garnish if desired
- Use a melon baller to scoop out the flesh of the watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon. (I always make a ton of these since I love to use the frozen melon as ‘ice cubes’ in infused water – still or sparkling – as well as for iced tea)
- Place melon balls on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Freeze for several hours.
- In a pitcher stir together grape juice, soda and lemonade.
- Place in the fridge to chill.
- Add a few cups of frozen melon balls to pitcher along with fresh mint leaves and slices of lime.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve cold using additional frozen melon balls as ice cubes.
- Garnish glasses with lime slice and mint leaf.
Sit back and enjoy!